This is easy to make mild taco seasoning is sure to be a hit! It’s perfect for any taco Tuesday or Mexican recipe that uses a few simple ingredients and can be whipped up in no time!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This post may contain affiliate links. For more information see my full disclosure here.
“Food is our common ground, a universal experience.” –James Beard
I think it’s safe to say tacos are a pretty popular meal, and something most people eat at least once a week. Tacos are a fun easy meal, not to mention a quick one. Another plus is that they are one of the easiest meals to start making from scratch after all most of it is made from scratch already. Throw in some homemade salsa, tortillas, and homemade taco seasoning you’ll be good to go!
Making your own taco seasoning mix couldn’t be easier! It can be used for all your favorite Mexican recipes, and with any type of meat. It’s also a great way to start making more of your own food from scratch and ditch that grocery store seasoning packet!
Why you should make your own mild taco seasoning?
Making food from scratch is something I believe is always important. And learning how to make more of what we eat at a home is a goal I believe we should all learn to do in some way or another.
But all that aside there are a few other reasons why you should start making your own taco seasoning.
- You likely already have all the spices on hand. Most of us don’t realize taco seasoning is so simple to make. Furthermore, we don’t realize we very likely already have all the spices sitting in our spice cabinet already. Why go to the store and pay twice as much for something you can throw together in a few seconds with ingredients you already have?
- Homemade taco seasoning is better for you. Well, there are plenty of good and organic options at the shops these days. It is usually always going to be healthier to make your own taco seasoning at home. Store-bought taco seasoning usually contains sugar, MSG, and one or more added preservatives. Not to option table salt and spices, that are not organic or fresh. Meaning you are paying for something that isn’t good for you and won’t even taste as good.
- Making your own is a great first step to take if you are learning to cook from scratch. I always say when starting to cook from scratch or learning to cook in general, it is always a good idea to set small, easily achievable goals for yourself. And to be perfectly honest it doesn’t get much easier than homemade taco seasoning.
Mild Taco Seasoning
You probably know that most taco seasoning(both store-bought and homemade) has a bit of kick to it. And though I am a lover of spicy food, I also know that spicy isn’t for everyone.
I grew up with several people who were almost hyper-sensitive to spice. They couldn’t eat anything that had crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or even too much black pepper.
This made taco night a bit difficult sometimes, especially because after a while people get sick of having to drown their tacos in sour cream in order to be able to eat them.
My family has used this mild version for years now and it never fails us! It is still packed with flavor and great spices. Yet it is also super mild and won’t bother anyone who doesn’t like or is sensitive to spicy food. Even if you like your tacos hot, this is a great taco seasoning recipe to keep on hand, as a kid-friendly version or one to use if you are cooking for guests.
How to make mild taco seasoning
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
In a small mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and mix them together. Transfer the mixture to an *airtight container. Use as you would any other taco seasoning mix.
This small batch can easily be whipped up on taco night and used immediately. Or you can store your taco seasoning in a cool dry place, until ready to use!
One batch of homemade taco seasoning is good for roughly 2 pounds of ground beef or shredded chicken. Mix the seasoning with 2/3 cups water, and add to the cooked meat of your choice. Cook until hot and enjoy!
*You can store your homemade seasoning in a small mason jar, recycled spice bottle, new spice bottle, or even a sandwich bag
You can use this taco seasoning for all your favorite taco recipes.
As mentioned above, your homemade taco seasoning mix can be stored in a variety of ways. The most important thing to remember is that you want to store your homemade taco seasoning in an air-tight or nearly air-tight container. And along with the rest of your spices and seasoning, should be stored in a cool dry place, away from any moisture.
Yes! Homemade taco seasoning and any other homemade spice mix can easily be doubled, tripled, Or quadrupled. If you are making a large batch, follow the same tips listed above for storing, and when you are ready to use you will need roughly 4-5 tablespoons of seasoning per 2/3 cup of water or 2 lbs of cooked meat.
Like with most other spices and seasoning mixes, taco seasoning doesn’t really have an expiration date. And so long as you remember to shake the jar every now and then to avoid any clumping, you shouldn’t have to worry about your taco seasoning going bad in any way. That being said, the general rule for spices and seasonings is about 6 months, not because they have gone bad, but simply because most of them will start to go stale and lose their flavor as time goes on, even so, they are perfectly safe to use and consume. If you aren’t someone who eats Mexican food very often, then I would recommend making your taco season when you are ready to use it, you can even cut the recipe in half if you are making less meat.
You can buy spice bottles from a variety of different places. Anywhere from you’re local shops to many places online. My favorite places to look are Etsy and Amazon. You can find the spices bottles I feature in this post HERE
The Best Mild Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and mix them together. Transfer the mixture to an *airtight container. Use as you would any other taco seasoning mix.
- **Mix the seasoning with 2/3 cups water, and add to the cooked meat of your choice. Cook until hot and enjoy!